Saturday, February 28, 2009

My "little" girl

I spent some good quality time with my little girl today. I braided her hair for the first time into two little braids. Suddenly, she looked so grown up. Fortunately for my slightly aching heart, she still cuddled with me on the couch while we watched Reading Rainbow and Mama Mirabelle's Home Movies (her serious favorite). Later though, she decided to "skip the songs". Normally we read two stories, then rock in the rocking chair to the lullaby music and then put her in bed. After the stories, she decided that she wanted to skip the songs and the rocking and go straight to bed. I know it's just a little thing and she'll probably want to rock again tomorrow, but right now I'm feeling a little...melancholy perhaps. I'm not sure if that's the word I'm looking for but I want to treasure these days when she's little. The days when she eats "nini" (tortelini) and "tella toast" (toast with nutella) and asking me ever so very nicely (using all of her good manners), for a cookie at breakfast.

I'm not ready for her to grow up while I'm working too hard. This is my reminder that time marches, savor it all.

(P.S. If I'm emotional now, what will kindergarten, college, and marriage be like!?!)

No comments: