Sunday, October 26, 2008

It just gets better...FYI - TMI

After our exciting and exhausting weekend, last week started off on an auspicious note. Monday, we went to bed late after watching another episode of the Anne of Green Gables trilogy. Just after we went to bed Katie woke up for the first time very upset. She woke up two more times in short succession before we heard the worst sounds a parent wants to hear, especially in the middle of the night...vomiting. She threw up every 15-30 minutes until 6 am.

We were up, literally, all night. We went downstairs after she had soiled every sheet that we own and half her stuffed animals were in the laundry. We watched 5 episodes of Dragon Tales from about 3 - 5:30 am with her sitting on my lap. there is nothing more awful than feeling your child dry heave every fifteen minutes. I was trying to teach her to use a bucket instead of the floor, her clothes or anything else, which she did not like. Dragon Tales was truly a blessing. She was distracted enough by the show that her dismay at vomiting was short-lived once it finished. Unfotunately for both Jim and I, we only had 5 episodes of Dragon Tales on the Tivo. We watched them over and over and over again... She finally napped on the couch for a short while near 6. After she managed to go at least a half hour without vomiting, I carried her up to bed and started calling substitutes so that I could get a little rest. I had sent Jim to bed at 4:45 so that someone would be coherent enough to take her to the doctor. At 6:30 or so I went into school to prep my lesson plans for my sub. When the office staff came in and saw me, up all night, greasy hair pulled back into a ponytail and glasses (no contacts), I got a bunch of surprised looks and startled, "Oh!"s. I even got one, "Hi...you look terrible!" It was actually pretty funny. :) Jim stayed home on Wednesday with her while I went into school and he was soooo happy when 11:30 came around and the new Dragon Tales came on TV so that there was a new one in the mix. It's definitely time to burn some episodes to DVD so we have more to choose from next time!

It's amazing just how your body stops protesting after awhile. I was so tired, I didn't even notice. I was wide awake enough to keep moving. It was actually much worse later in the week as I never quite caught up on sleep. The good news is, she stayed home Tuesday and Wednesday and then happily went back to daycare on Thursday. She didn't sleep through the night for three or four more nights but manged to keep all her food down. Now, I think I'll turn in since I'm still catching up!

Next stop, the State Fair!

1 comment:

HeatherV said...

oh sweetie! how awful for you and scary for katie. Sending you lots of get well vibes.