Tuesday, September 23, 2008

30 years and still tickin'

Happy Birthday to me...

I turned thirty today and what surprises me about being thirty is not that I feel different (I don't) but it sounds like I'm suddenly much more mature than I was yesterday. :) Like somehow 30-year-olds are supposed to have it together but people in their 20s are still figuring things out. I supposed I'm in trouble if that's the case since I most definitely do NOT have it together.

Take today, for instance. I lost my plan book and the teacher's manual that goes with the book I am using in my classes. If was an "A" day so I taught 5 of 6 classes but, my really well planned day yesterday that was going to give me LOTS of time to plan the rest of the week was spent at home caring for my sick daughter with my sub using my well-thought out lesson plan. Since I teach so many classes on "A" days (and I have morning duty this week) I had no time to plan for today's classes or tomorrow's. Plus, when my kids found out it was my birthday, they decorated my boards in birthday felicitations in 4 or 5 languages. So, in honor of my birthday, I took them to the library (as originally planned) and stayed there a lot longer than originally planned just letting them read. It worked out nicely.

Unfortunately, I had a meeting during lunch and then developed a migraine that just got worse and worse during the last two hours of school. It took me an hour after school to wrap things up with a semblance of order and meet with my mentor. Oh, and I realized, belatedly, that I need to do interim grades this week. Ha! I haven't even set up my classes in the computer so I have some work ahead of me...

I did get flowers (at home, not at work, one day...) from my husband and a nice card and birthday cake. Also, an IOU for a camera to replace the old slow one I use for most of my pictures. I also received a great home-made CD of German rock music and a promise to speak German with me for a time period of my choosing from our exchange student, Ricarda. Hurray! ( I need to practice ahead of time!)

My favorite birhday memory from this year, however, was from 6 weeks ago when two of my favorite people kidnapped me and another of our friends who is also turning thirty (in August) for a dinner out at a really nice restaurant sans children. It was awesome. Not having had a lot of girlfriends growing up makes these ladies (and the time and effort they expend on my behalf) all the more special. This is what friendship is all about, the fun stuff, the leaning on each other, the calling to explain why your husband/daughter/son/parent is an idiot/doll/amazing gift from God just so you can share it with someone. THANKS LADIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Birthday to me... ;-)

1 comment:

HeatherV said...

happy birthday my dear. Sent you a card in snail mail, but so happy we made it a great suprise for you and amber. We had such a good time planning it! here's to 30 more years1